Welcome

Personal blog and comfy corner of Lyra Rhodes: musician, cake aficionado, whinger...maybe just a place where I can stuff things (words!), rather than them falling down the back of the sofa

Monday 17 June 2013

Lloyd Cole - Standards - my review

I posted this on Lloyd's Facebook page. Now I read it back...it's a bit fawning...but hey, I'm a huge fan. I got a chord song book of his signed at a gig last year, and I couldn't actually speak.
Sigh.
If I still listened to Vinyl, then my Lloyd albums (I have them all) would be totally worn out. I have "Standards" on CD (having gone thro' the wonderful part-funding exercise), and I won't be the only one to say that it has 3 or 4 songs which are so SO gloriously *musical* and fresh amidst Lloyd's catalogue, full of vigour and reinvention. This is a lively and spirited record, and I like it a great deal...(and these songs joined my playlist alongside 17 other greats such as Cut Me Down, Past Imperfect and Don't Look Back). ELEGANT indeed!

No comments: